Friday, January 14, 2011

Adventures in babysitting

For real though, I have been babysitting like crazy for my adorable nieces and nephews. I'm so glad I've had the time to help out and to spend time with the little cutie pies!

Scenario 1
It all began last week when one of my sister-in-laws called me to watch her little peach while Momma got her hair did. I jumped at the chance to snuggle that sweetie and met her at the salon. Her appointment was delayed so we grabbed a quick lunch at the CrepeVine (I'm obsessed) and then went back to the salon. Little Peach slept right through lunch and then woke up right when Momma went to get her hair done. She began to wail so I took her outside and walked her up and down the sidewalk. Poor baby was so sad but I knew she wasn't hungry and sometimes she just has an upset tummy and needs the world to hear about it. Well that she did. About 30 minutes or so into her cry-fest (as we walked the sidewalk outside) a delivery man approached and asked if I needed cab fair because "his son only cried like that when he was sick and maybe I needed to take her to the doctor." I gracefully declined and explained that I was just the Aunty and that Momma deserved 45 minutes of peace and quiet. Nice of him to offer though. It was interesting that all of the women passing by just gave me a sympathetic look and a smile. They didn't say a word but I knew they were thinking, "Been there, done that, good luck!" Little peach fell to sleep about 5 minutes before Momma was finished. Never happier to see her Momma in my life!!!

Scenario 2
My big sis and her husband went to Auburn so they were thrilled when Auburn was playing in the National Championship game and took a trip to AZ to see them play. This left my mom and me with their 2 crazies, I mean, kids. They are awesome kids and I love them tons but let's just say they didn't get their Aunty Kardeesia's laid back personality. There are too many stories to share from the 4 days we spent together but here are some highlights:
-I brought her to church with me and when the Sacrament was being passed I was explaining that we eat the bread to remember Jesus and to show him that we will try to be like him to which she replied, "No thanks, I don't want any bread but do they have anything else?"
-After the sacrament was passed I gathered up all of our bags and told her it was time to go (I didn't think she would last the whole meeting and my mom was alone with 2 of my nephews who are hard to manage when you're flying solo). My niece insisted that we stay until it was over. She won! She sat quietly for the remainder of the meeting. Funny kid!
-The last night I was there I tried to get her to sleep with me upstairs so that she didn't wake up in the middle of the night (her brother hasn't quite mastered sleeping through the night just yet as he wakes up hungry so when he screams it wakes her). We got some of her stuffed animals and her blanket and just as we were falling asleep in my bed she says, "Kar-ee, I need to be in my room. That's where I belong and that's where all my (animal) friends are!" How do you say no to that? So back to her room she went!
-I introduced her to Care Bears on my last day with her and she must have thought they looked too nice as I was showing her the preview. She asked, "Are there any mean guys in this movie?" She is a sucker for a good villain. Ursula, Captain Hook, the stepmother from Cinderella and the "mean Queen" in Snow White rank among her favorites. I'm pretty sure if there wasn't a villain in the Care Bears she wouldn't have been interested! She even has a set of Disney Villain books. Crazy kid!
-I mainly hung out with my niece but my nephew had some funny stories of his own. When asking him if he wanted something at mealtime instead of replying with a "yes" he would say "great."
Me: Do you want some more cheese?
Him: Great!
-He definitely consumed more calories each day than I did. He is a machine and he's not even 2 yet!!!

Scenario 3
The very next morning after my sister returned I got to spend a little time with another nephew who is so sweet and chill. No crazy stories here!!!

And the moral of the story is... I LOVE BEING AN AUNT!!!

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing lady! I'm so thankful James has been blessed with having you as an aunt! I'm also thankful there were no crazy stories from your too-early hangout with James, I'm just hoping he keeps his chill personality when the little one arrives.

    ReplyDelete