or so I thought. I was having some issues with severe pain among other things and my GYN decided it was time to look and see what was wrong. I made my appointment to discuss what I thought would be a minor procedure and ended up finding out I needed surgery. Scary! I had never had an IV and hadn't even had my wisdom teeth out. I didn't have much time to think about it as my surgery was scheduled for the following week. At my pre-op appointment the day before I found out I had to do a colon cleanse. Worst. thing. ever. seriously. Tasted WAY worse than the Fountain of Youth water and even that made me gag! Only 1 cup every 15 minutes for 4 HOURS! WHAT!?! So I was up all night on the toilet. Pretty crappy. Ha!
So we arrived at the hospital at 11am and I went to get my gown on, IVs started, etc. and I was supposed to go back to surgery at noon. The case before me was crazy complicated so I didn't go so surgery until 5ish. I was so thirsty! And hungry! It was so lovely when my nurse started my 2 IVs and then continued to tell me the reason they do 2, in case my arm falls or I move during surgery and one rips out. I could've gone my whole life without knowing that. I am definitely one of those people where less is more when it comes to medical procedures.
I was surprisingly calm and silly before surgery and I kept asking Evan and my mom if they gave me meds to calm me down. They kept assuring me I had nothing. However, Evan and his brother had given me a priesthood blessing the night before. I know that it was the Comforter (the Holy Spirit) which helped me to feel calm and peaceful when I otherwise would have been nervous and frightened.
(waiting, waiting, waiting...)
When I was wheeled into the OR the nurse was telling me to look around at the large machine (robotic device) that the doctor would use to operate on me and I informed her I didn't want to be awake or know anything from this point on. She had the CRNA (nurse anesthetist, what Evan wants to be) start my meds as soon as I got to the table. I remember getting to the operating table from the gurney and as soon as my head hit the bed I was asleep. It was perfect! I woke up in my recovery room and I was very confused because my nurse told me they took my appendix out. I informed her that they did the wrong procedure on me as I was there for "female" issues. She assured me that it was due to complications from my "female" issues. I was just a chatterbox after that! I remember the nurse trying to tell me I should be tired and to rest but I felt so happy and chatty! I made up a nickname for my surgeon and my nurse was cracking up and said that I must be ready to see my husband if I was that alert. I have never been so happy to see him. He asked for a vile of whatever meds she gave me so he could give it to me at home ;) She declined. I think I was just happy to be alive!
I had several issues but the main diagnosis was endometriosis. I had wondered if this was causing my severe symptoms but thought there was no way I had it (denial much?). When I looked it up online I was a textbook case. I was disappointed to find out this was something I will have to deal with for the rest of my life but felt validated in that my years of severe pain was for a reason.
I had to spend one night in the hospital to recover and my clock was so crooked. I was loopy enough with all of my pain meds I didn't need that clock playing mind games with me!!!
Once I recovered (in about a week) and ever since I have felt better than ever! Now I am no longer afraid of surgery either. I also learned that you get NO rest in the hospital. I have awesome battle wounds too!

No comments:
Post a Comment